Wednesday, April 16, 2014

French Desk


I found a desk with 2 broken back legs at the Flea Market this week.  The seller did not want to deal with the desk so she gave it to me.  Love that!
Before:

This desk has great lines and I love the curved front drawers and delicate legs.  The wood is not real inlaid wood so I had no problem painting this desk. I wanted to make it more Frenchy so I glued on a few appliqués that I ordered from Doityourselfchic.com.  After they had dried I painted the desk with home-made chalk paint in Mills Spring Blue by Benjamin Moore.  After distressing the edges I sealed the paint with hemp oil/dark wax.  


Added applique


Added applique










To get chippiness with chalk paint I use a spackel knife to scrape the paint




Chippy old angel


Preserved boxwood wreath from DecorSteals.com


I found this bottle at the Flea on the same day



Curved front drawers



I am loving the desk now!

Linking up with:
beyondthepicketfence
rootedintime
commonground
redouxinteriors
frenchcountrycottage
jenniferrizzo
craftberrybush
bacontimewiththehungryhypo
romantichome
diyshowoff
natashainoz
sewlicioushomedecor
findingsilverpennies
dwellings-theheartofyourhome
coastalcharm
thededicatedhouse
commonground
modvintagelife
astrollthrulife
stonegable
knickoftimeinteriors
savvysouthernstyle
diybydesign
greenwillowpond
missmustardseed

33 comments:

  1. Lovely!
    Another way to achieve a chippy look is to wrap the piece in packing tape...leave it for a day or so then pull it off. The paint will come off in chips and it looks very natural.

    xo

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andie-Thanks for the advice about packing tape, I think I will try that.

      Delete
  2. I am new to your blog...WOW, cant beat free with a stick ;) love what you did with it!

    Blessings,

    ~Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stunning piece....and for FREE....I should be so lucky...hehehe!~ What you've done is so classically beautiful that I bet you'll love it forever! Andie, that's a great tip on the chippy look with packaging tape too...thanks....Mimi @ A Tray of Bliss...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous old piece and you can't beat the price!;>) You did a beautiful job on the makeover- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful make-over Darrielle! I LOVE free pieces!! Enjoy your day, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect size, perfect shade and perfect style. Darrielle. I love it. Where are you thinking of putting it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victoria--I am actually selling it and will be taking it to Mes Amis -Vintage Show next week.

      Delete
  7. Thank you Martina! I love love love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this desk - the color is perfect, the appliques add so much and the shape of it is to die for. Great job !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the French desk, it's beautiful. Please come share at the Anything Goes linky party if you have not already. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the appliques are the perfect touch!!! The color is gorgeous too. Love it!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy--I love the color and appliqués too!

      Delete
  11. Wow, another gorgeous makeover Darrielle! Love the color of this desk and those appliqués are beautiful. You just rocked my world by introducing me to Do It Yourself Chic - talk about gorgeous stuff!
    Marie @ The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie! I love that site and I make one bigger order a couple times a year so I have them on stock in my stash. I do sometimes make them my self with molds.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful! Great touch adding the appliques! I love all of the goodies from DoItYourselfChic....
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin--they do have some great goodies!

      Delete
  13. I LOVE this table and the color of paint! Thank you for sharing it with us! Pinned to the party board. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jealous....just jealous...lol Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Titia! It's going to a show to be sold this weekend I hope!

      Delete
  15. So many times appliques just looked like they're slapped on and they don't really suit. However, they look quite lovely on your desk... great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cynthia--I agree about many appliqués, so thanks for the compliment I appreciate it.

      Delete
  16. This is gorgeous! Love the color and the added appliques. Thank you for sharing it and your pretty bench at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great week!

    Blessings,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  17. you did a great job, how did you fix the leg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Irene--I used wood glue to fix the legs. They were not broken just not screwed in to the base and only need some glue to hold them in place.

      Delete