Thursday, July 30, 2015

The Long White Bench

I have a new King size bed in my bedroom and I needed something at the end of it to collect thinks.  I found this grungy old bench at the Flea Market and it seemed to fit the bill so it came home with me. 

The bench paint was peeling and flaking so I got out my hand sander and spent some time on the grungy bench making it smooth and ready for paint.  I first painted it in Barn Red by The Urban Rooster.

Before I painted the white on the bench I rubbed an old candle on the edges and other places that I wanted the red to show through.  The next 2 coats were painted in Marshmallow Cream by The Urban Rooster .  To get the red to show up I lightly sanded the edges and then I sealed the entire bench with AS clear wax. 
I couldn't get a picture of the bench at the end of the best so I moved it to the wall for pictures!  

Red and white

No more flaking paint! 

My Beach bag! 

I love the red peeping through! 

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Wordless Wednesday-Instagram (My House and the Lake)

Monday, July 27, 2015

The Birds Eye Maple Dresser Rescue

I have been MIA this past week due to spending time at the Lake, but I am now back!  Before I left, I worked on this Birds Eye Maple dresser. 
It's hard hard to see from this picture, but the finish was in bad shape and their were some major dings and scratches.  As you know I like to paint things, but this wood is not very common and I knew I couldn't paint over it.  I got out my sander and went to work.  After giving the entire dresser a good sand, I was ready to make it look beautiful again.  I got out my AS dark wax and tung oil and combined them and painted the mixture on the dresser.  The next step was to wipe in/off the excess wax/oil with a cotton cloth.  

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Aqua Ombre Chest of Drawers Rescue

Awhile back I found a throw away chest of drawers and it has been sitting in the back of my workshop waiting for some help.  
It had spiders and grunge every place and was basically falling apart.  Working with Krista ( my intern), we strengthened the chest and cleaned it up.  I thought it would look good with an ombre look in aqua.  I pulled out Jaded Rooster by  The Urban Rooster and mixed it with some Marshmallow Cream and created an aqua color.  We painted the bottom drawer in the aqua and then for the next drawers just added more white to the aqua to lighten it up.  The base of the chest was painted in the middle aqua color.  After the paint dried I sanded the edges to distress it.  The last step was to seal it with AS clear wax and add the knobs.  

I left the roughness of the drawers for character 

I love  both the wood and white showing