Wednesday, April 27, 2016

What's in My Paint Bag...........


A bunch of us furniture painters decided to get together and share the tools we use when we transform furniture pieces.  


We all have our own "things" that are a must in our Paint Bag. 

My basket is full of goodies, but not beauties!  

I always have funtrintre wax:


 I use several  different clear waxes (Annie Sloane and Miss Mustard Seed).  I love this clear Carnuba wax for a few reasons.  It smells good-kind of like Eucalyptus and Tea Tree, it is soft and easy to use, and it is reasonably priced online.  



I love Annie Sloane dark wax and use it for most of my pieces since I like the patina and character it gives.  


I use a lot of oil ( Miss Mustard Seed's Hemp Oil is one of my favs., but I was out  of it for this post).  I can buy this Linseed oil at my local paint store and it is reasonably priced and lasts a long time.  I mix it with my waxes to stain wood and to give a painted piece of furniture patina. 



Let's talk paint brushes-a good one is a MUST!  

My two favorite brushes are by Purdy and Parsons West
(Miss Mustards Seed's paint brush) 
Paint brushes and a container for paint
 (Mason Jars or Yogurt containers are what I mix my paints in) 

I like to have a brush that is thicker, has an angled edge and a shorter handle.  

I also buy the cheap brushes for my wax/oil concoction.  When they get worn and too sticky I just throw them away.


 I use my scraper ALL the time!  This is my favorite distressing tool.  I scrape the edges of furniture and I use it to scrape the flakes off when I use milk paint. 




I always have screw drivers, a tape measure and sand paper around.  I also like to keep needle nose pliers available for help with old furniture.  


I use MANY different kinds of chalk and milk paints, but I often make my own chalk paint and I use Plater of Paris for this.  I love to mix up my own personal colors for a piece. 


I like to keep wood glue in my basket-alway using it  for old pieces! 

I use cotton clothes ( white socks that have lost their mates, old tee-shirts)  to wipe on and off my wax and oils.  


Sand paper is a must, but I rarely use it to distress, I usually use it to make things smooth. 

I also like to keep a well built rasp around since it seems that most drawers stick on old dressers. 


My Paint Basket! 



I hope you will go visit the other ladies and see what they keep in Their Paint Bags:








15 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for being part of this post! I gotta get me a scraper and some linseed oil. Love what you do lady! So gorgeous. Hugs, CoCo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for inviting and including me with this talented group!

      Delete
  2. needle nosed pliers are definitely a must! love seeing what you use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cassie-it was fun to see what everyone uses!

      Delete
  3. Loved seeing your favourite tools and products. Some I had never heard of. This was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary-I love what you do and you space and tools are great!

      Delete
  4. This is a fun show of products that lend their help in your skilled hands. I love and use Bri-Wax, both the liming wax and the clear. I admire your talent and like that you rarely use sandpaper to distress.
    xoxo,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vera-it was a fun group and project to be part of!

      Delete
  5. With such minimal tools, you sure can make a piece of plain furniture beautiful, Darrielle. In fact you downright amaze me with some of your pieces.
    Enjoy the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know that we love what you do with your furniture finishes. We have never heard of the Carnuba wax...but now we are on the hunt. Thanks so much for sharing your tips - such great ideas!
    Vicki and Jenn
    2 Bees in a Pod

    ReplyDelete
  7. All those supplies in your basket are sure working well for you! It was fun to see all your tools of the trade.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great paint kit and has a few things in it I had not thought of. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has been a fun series to follow. I've admired your signature linseed oil and dark wax technique so it was great seeing the brand you use. Thanks for sharing your basket with us Darrielle 👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm,...looks like I need a lot more tools and such.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your blog! Awesome tips!

    ReplyDelete