Tuesday, March 24, 2015

How to add Patina to a vase


While all the LOUD construction was going in my house, I went to the Goodwill and found 4 vases that I thought could be pretty with a little help.  I liked the shape and the details on them. 
Before: 

 The finish on the vases were rough, so I knew that paint would stick well.  I painted 2 of them in AS pure white and the the other pair in a home made grey chalk paint.  I made sure the paint was a little thicker then usual so it would give the vases depth and character.  I dried the paint with a hair drier (trying to get some crackle) and then added the aging/patina by rubbing on AS dark wax.  




I added some fresh  flowers from TJ's and called it a day! 





I purposely made my paint strokes go all different ways so that the wax would have more grooves to settle into and add character. 









Sitting pretty on my dinning room table 


22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Martina-I think they are pretty now too!

      Delete
  2. Awesome job! They are beautiful and are probably more so in person. I love ranunculus but can't grow them where I live, so I buy mine at Trader as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elaine-it was just a fun easy project to do and I love ranunculus too!

      Delete
  3. Wow, those came out looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marigene-they do look better now with a little paint!

      Delete
  4. Love what you did with these vases Darielle - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie-I love that it was easy too!

      Delete
  5. Ohhh, I love these! I think I am going to have to look for some vases like that on my next thrifting trip so that I can try it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Olivia-I think you should too-it was an easy project and the end result it a good one!

      Delete
  6. They look perfect! It makes me want to head to goodwill right now and make some myself :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rue-paint can do wonders for things!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you Cynthia-I like them much better with a little paint!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful transformations. Looking forward to seeing them in person:-)
    Thanks for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betsy-trying to start getting ready for Mes Amis, but the remodel is taking up a lot of my time please my full time job! ARGHHHHHH

      Delete
  9. Very. Fiery thank you so much for sharing this is very inspiring to see something already so pretty and to see you make it your own style which is beautiful and it's kind of the same as mine so I was hoping you would share your beautiful gray chalk paint recipe. For some reason I think I might be using a different ingredients and my gray do it yourself chopping does not seem to be as rich in color or stick if you don't mind sharing what you do exactly to make your chalk paint I would be so appreciative thanks again for The inspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen-I use Plaster of Paris and then Benjamin Moore flat paint. This particular grey I made up by mixing some ooopsie grey and then some white until I got the color I wanted. I don't measure for my chalk paint, but here is what I do. I add 2 large scoops of Plaster of Paris to a container and then add enough water to make it thin pancake batter consistency. From there I add about 3 part of the flat paint. I tend to like it a little more on the thick side especially for projects like the vases. The vases had a rough surface so the paint stuck very well. I hope this is helpful - I am not very exact about things and kind of go with what I feel like in the moment.

      Delete
  10. Very pretty !! Love your transformation! Monika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monkia-I think they are pretty now!

      Delete
  11. Great transformation. Thank you for linking up this week at Shabbilicious Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kerryanne-sometimes a quick project is the way to go!

      Delete