Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Re-purposing a 100 Year Old Headboard



Awhile ago I found an antique twin head and footboard that a lady said her grandmother had  when she was a kid.  I loved the lines, the story and the patina around the edges of the headboard so I bought it.  The headboard was missing the bedposts so I knew I needed to be creative with it.  I though a sign or coatrack could  be made.  I had read about adding a 3 dimensional stencil to a piece using joint compound so I decided to try this.  
Before:

I put the joint compound on the stencil and gave it a quick blow dry (I am impatient)and then pulled the stencil off and let it dry over night. 

The raised stencil design looked great and I was ready to paint.  My husband thought it should be green so I mixed up some home made chalk paint and painted the headboard.  I then painted the stencil white and sealed it with dark wax.  I was careful to keep the gold edge on the headboard since this was my favorite part.  The last step was to add some hooks to hang things from.  I took the hooks off a broken rack ( they are not old but I liked the way they looked and I was recycling).  



Joint compound stencil



Love the Gold Patina!















I am very happy with the way it turned out! 

Linking up with:
frommyfrontporchtoyours
beyondthepicketfence
rootedinthyme
thebrambleberrycottage
impartinggrace
commonground
nancherrow
redouxinteriors
frenchcountrycottage
jenniferrizzo
myrepurposedlife
romantichome
findingsilverpennies
niftythriftythings
funkyjunkinteriors
natashainoz

dwellings-theheartofyourhome

40 comments:

  1. Your headboard rack turned out great! I too love the gold edges and I like that you kept it because it is original to the piece. The stencil is beautiful!

    Gigi @ Old World Patina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi--the gold edges were what made me buy it so I had to keep them!

      Delete
  2. This turned out great! i love everything about it. Nice job!
    love
    rosie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out beautiful Darrielle! I have been wanting to try stenciling with joint compound but I haven't yet. You just inspired me!! Enjoy your day, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH- I LOVE It and the color? I just LOVE the color!!!! You did a great job and it is a fun AND functional piece! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana--I mixed up my own green paint to get the color I wanted. Have a good day!

      Delete
  5. I'm really inspired by your stencil and joint compound. I'm smack in the middle of refinishing an armoire and thought about adding a stencil. I love the way yours looks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE IT!!! This is such a statement piece..and you know I love anything gilded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victoria--I am very happy with how it turned out and I agree I love gilded things too!

      Delete
  7. Wow, I love how it turned out. I too do stencils with joint compound and love the look. The green was the right choice.
    Hugs,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bev--My husband was right about the green!

      Delete
  8. Love this! I love seeing old headboards put to use :) nice hardware as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- I am glad I was able to use it again!

      Delete
  9. WOW, looks great. You really did a wonderful job on that headboard. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Happy weekend.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW great idea and great job! Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a fantastic idea! Turned out great :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heidi--I love how it turned out too!

      Delete
  12. Love the whole thing but I adore the hooks.....great job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous! So awesome to repurpose treasure! Love the whole thing
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea, how fabulous and how creative. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did a BEAUTIFUL job, Danielle! Love that you used joint compound with the stencil--the texture is great.

    Thanks so much for joining Grace at Home. I'm featuring you this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Richella--It was my first time using joint compound and a stencil but it won't be my last thats for sure.
      Have a good week!

      Delete
  16. Very cool! I love what you did with the stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pretty and the colors and textures are perfect! Thanks so much for sharing at Amaze Me Monday...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy--my hubby was right with the green! I suppose I should listen to him more-ha ha ha

      Delete