Monday, June 16, 2014

Lucketts and Boxwood Green Toolbox


I spotted this old toolbox  at the Flea Market this week and knew I had to have it.  I have had them in the past and they have all sold fast, but I wanted another one for the table on my deck.
Before:

The insides were very dirty so I cleaned the box and then mixed up MMS Boxwood milk paint and got to painting.  Since the wood was dry and old the wood just soaked up the paint.  I wanted to get a layered/chippy look with two greens so I mixed up MMS Lucketts Green milk paint.  I used an old candle to add wax to some areas that I wanted the darker green to show.  I did not wax enough because I did not get much chippiness.    I painted the last coats with the lighter green and then scraped the paint to get chippiness.  I got some chippiness, but not a lot.  Thats the way milk paint works and I knew it would not chip a lot since the box was raw wood.  The last step was to seal it with hemp oil.  I am going to use it on the table on my deck with plants, napkins and utensils.  It will have many uses I am sure. 
I added hydrangeas and roses from my garden


You can see a little of the Boxwood green








Some chippiness






23 comments:

  1. What a delightful flower ! I love how very creative Becky's projects are. So fanciful! There's really a lot of inspiration in these gorgeous pictures. Brenda, such a fun site to find!
    japanese-garden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wooden tote looks great painted. Fun piece for your summer decor!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, I am going to paint the old tool box I have that same color green. It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan-you can't go wrong with green!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful tool box and I love that color...great job as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's perfect and such a beautiful color. Did I ever tell you I love your floors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betsy- I live in a 100+year old farm house and the wood indifferent in every room! I refinished the floors in this picture myself about 12 years ago and they defiantly have texture in them-ha ha

      Delete
  6. Love, Love, Love...yes, its perfect in that dreamy green color! I love the flower's in it too...just beautiful :-)

    Hope your week is EXTRA Blessed..

    ~Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful box. What a nice redo! Your hydrangeas are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann-I love hydrangeas and I like them with the green!

      Delete
  8. I love the color! I made a similar box and that color looks better than the one I chose! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love old tool boxes. They make some wonderfully useful things other than their intended purpose. I bought one that someone had painted bright yellow, it looked so happy I left it as it was. Still don't know what I want to do with it.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice-I love toolboxes and they have so many uses!

      Delete
  10. Love the new color of the toolbox! Thanx for sharing at THT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicely done. It looks great and you will find so many uses for it.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute! Thanks for sharing with us at Your Designs This Time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily- I love the green and the many uses of the toolbox

      Delete