Friday, June 27, 2014

Plum Topping and Garden Bounty




This year I planted my vegetable garden a little late and it is now starting to produce and I am excited to have home-grown food. 







We have an old plum tree in our front yard that produces lots of plums every year.  The tree is right along the sidewalk so all the neighbors pick the plums and there are a few people who bring a jar of jam by to say thanks.  We even pick bags for a few older people who can not climb ladders.  
     I got up on the ladder and picked many bowls full this weekend and decided to make jam.  



I wanted to make the jam low sugar and I left it very chunky so it turned out more like a spread so I am calling it plum topping.  My neighbor came over and helped me and we chatted about life and summer so far as we pitted the plums.    Pitting all the plums takes the longest and it is much easier to fill the hot jars with 2 people .  It turned out great! 
















I picked a bunch of kale ( we eat it in salad every night), green lettuce and red lettuce.

Fresh mint and zucchinis 





I knew my toolbox would be used for many things and it was perfect for picking veggies from the garden. 


6 comments:

  1. What a green thumb you have! So lucky to have a plum tree - sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Suzanne-I love our plum tree! Making the jam/topping takes some time, but it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh YUM ! love the post, the pretty jam and the little table. I made jam last year...I know that it's a bit of work involved! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of wiki getting the pits out, but it is kind fun too! It was a great way to spend the afternoon with my friend and chat and cook.

      Delete
  4. You are making me miss the plum tree I had back in Idaho!

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan--Plums are so good but very messy! It was a lot of work but worth it!

      Delete