Sunday, October 25, 2015

How to make an old Cabinet have Farmhouse Style


I have been on the hunt for an old cabinet that is partially open to store fabric in my office and last week I found a great old piece with potential. 
Before:
This cabinet is old and very lightweight and the right size for me.  I forgot to take a picture of the real before, but the front wood panels were coming off and loose so I removed them and this is what I got.  I knew this piece would look great with a chippy milk paint finish.  I had ordered Layla's Mint from  Miss Mustard Seed  and decided to give it a a try on this piece.  After mixing the milk paint up, I painted the cabinet with 2 coats and waited for it to dry and the chippy magic to happen.  I painted the inside with white chalk paint while the outside was drying.  I scraped the the cabinet down with my sparkle knife and removed all the loose flakes of paint and then sealed the whole thing with Tung Oil. 


I wanted shelves in the cabinet so I asked my neighbor Tim to help me with this.  He put a metal shelving system in for me and I went to the lumber store and bought the wood for the shelves.  I gave the shelves a quick coat of white paint and put them inside.  
The last step was to measure and cut some chicken wire for the drawer fronts and then staple them in and VIOLA-Farmhouse Style Cabinet! 

Chippy Goodness


Milk paint and chicken wire=Love! 












I am so happy with how this turned out and I can't wait to move it into my office and fill it with fabric! 

Linking up with:

38 comments:

  1. Love this! You did a beautiful job, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather-I do like how it turned out too!

      Delete
  2. Nice, nice, very nice! I spy pretty vintage cotton tablecloths too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rita-I have lots of vintage linens and I am going to store them and fabric in this cabinet in my office!

      Delete
  3. I love how it turned out, great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -the cabinet took some work but I love how it turned out!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic job:-) I think that chicken wire is much better than glass in such an old cabinet. Love it:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-I am glad I took out the wood panels and replaced them with chicken wire too!

      Delete
  5. WOW! You did an awesome job! I absolutely adore this re-do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle-it is one of my favorite re-dos too!

      Delete
  6. Such a nice change. I have a firend who did that to a couple cabinets she sold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose-I like the cabinet being open better!

      Delete
  7. Ahhhhh such a great re love. Just awesome.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic cupboard! Love the chippy paint and the chicken wire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda-chippy and chicken wire just go together!

      Delete
  9. What a fabulous piece! I love the chicken-wire on the front and that beautiful color!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Benita-I love the chicken wire on the fronts too!

      Delete
  10. Very impressive transformation. Your techniques are age convincing and I love the chicken wire.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-I try and keep a piece looking its age (in a good way) if I can!

      Delete
  11. WOW! This is such an amazing transformation! A perfect place to store all your vintage pretties. Thank you for sharing the before and after at Vintage Ispiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betsy-I am putting it in my office with all my fabrics-Cant wait!

      Delete
  12. Wow, it has loads of character now! For someone who is not a fan of the color mint, I'm really like this shade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie-I wasn't sure about the color either, but I have not found a color I don't like from MMS so I went for it!

      Delete
  13. This is such a huge transformation - it turned out so charming! Do you only use a knife for the distressing? No sanding? I'm getting ready to paint a dresser in my bedroom and I'd love to be able to distress it right there in the room.
    xo Sally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally-I rarely use sandpaper or a sander to distress- usually just a knife. I don't like when sandpaper leaves scratch marks!

      Delete
  14. This is absolutely gorgeous!! This is definitely a must do. Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Blake-I love the choppiness and the open shelves!

      Delete
  15. I love it!! It looks 1,000 times better :) And I love how you styled it. I have a corner hutch, and we recently moved in to our first home and it doesn't fit in the dining area so I had to put it in the living room. I like the idea of putting the quilts and plants in there to make it feel more like it should be in the living room. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank yo Olivia-I love this piece and I spend some time this weekend end putting my fabric in it! I bet yours is nice too!

      Delete
  16. Darielle ... You are so darned good at what you do! I would feature you every week if I could! This cabinet is absolutely beautiful in all it's chippy glory! Well done! Thank you for sharing it at my party!
    Smiles!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  17. So great! Sharing tonight on The Painted Drawer Link Party and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The perfect amount of chippy yumminess! I know you'll enjoy looking at that every single day! It made me smile. :) Thank you for sharing it at Friday's Furniture Fix this week! Carrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Carrie-I think it is yummy too and I love it filled with my fabrics!

      Delete