Thursday, September 11, 2014

My Trumeau Mirror


A few weeks ago I found a mirror that had great potential at the Flea Market. 
Before:
I immediately thought of making a Trumeau mirror out of it since it was a mirror and a wood piece on top.  They were two different pieces so I could pop out the need point design and add whatever I wanted.  The edges of the mirror had great details even though it was chipped. 
What is a Trumeau Mirror you ask?
trumeau mirror is a wall mirror originally manufactured in France in the 18th century. It takes its name from the French word trumeau, which designates the space between windows. In England it is normally known as a 'pier glass'.
Trumeau mirrors were originally intended to hang on a wall between windows, providing a decorative element and bringing more light to the room. Most antique trumeau mirrors are highly ornate and often gilded.
The mirror is almost always rectangular and sometimes includes a decorative portion at the top, with the mirror below it. Those designed to be placed above a mantelpiece, rather than between windows, could have candles placed in front of the mirror to increase ambient light.
 I found a wooden appliqué that I had picked up on one of my junkin trips and thought it would be perfect for the top of the mirror.  
 I popped out the needle point design ( I kept it on the board and just turned it around just in case someone else really liked it).  I also added the wood trim with detail between the mirror and the top part.  It needed a natural division.  
    I mixed up some grey chalk paint and painted the whole thing.  I hand painted the details with white and then aged the  Trumeau with AS dark wax.  I really love how this turned out! 



Dirty-in a good way! 


Aged with dark wax




21 comments:

  1. Your mirror is beautiful, Darrielle!! I LOVE how it turned out!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Alice-I love how it turned out too! I just wanted to try it and I am glad it turned out.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Pamela-it was a fun project and I am glad it turned out so pretty too!

      Delete
  3. Love it! It looks just like my mirror above my mantel. Mine came from Southern Living at Home and I painted it in grey and white. You did a great job transforming the original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly-I had this idea in my head and then tried to make the idea work and I think it did.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Kim-I am pretty happy with it and am glad it tired out like the picture I had in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love-love-love it! These mirrors are my new obsession and yours is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it too! The color combination is gorgeous. I had no idea what this type of mirror was called. I have one buried out in my garage that needs a lot of TLC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Betsy-I love these kind of mirrors! See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. From ugly to awesome! Great transformation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maureen-I am very happy with the new look of the mirror!

      Delete
  9. Love, love, love your mirror! Nice job on the finish, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Revi-I have wanted to make one for awhile so I am glad this one turned out!

      Delete
  10. Wow! Now this was a great redo! I love it. Thank you for sharing your beautiful mirror! Leticia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leticia-I love the way it looks now too-so much better!

      Delete
  11. Wow! Just wow. You did a gorgeous job with the painted finish and of course the vision you had to start with was just perfect. Wonderful job, gorgeous result!!

    Lory
    Designthusiasm.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lory-I love when the vision in my head actually turns out in person!

      Delete