Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Cottage Green Dresser


I have had trouble finding dressers lately for some reason.  The only ones I find are way to expensive and dressers are my favorite thing to paint.  My neighbor had this dresser and I didn't want it any more so I took it off her hands.  
Before:
The dresser is very well made and was in pretty good shape with a few deep scratches, but it was very shiny and too dark for my taste.  I wanted to paint the dresser in a green color so I pulled out a green that I had on hand and made home made chalk paint.  I wasn't too keen on the color, it was to bright, so I added some blue to it and came up with this great green/blue color that was perfect and I am calling it Cottage Green.  After distressing I sealed it with my dark wax/hemp oil concoction. 






Great knobs


Hydrangeas form my garden




Great Pulls


Ironstone and Hydrangeas=LOVE










I want to paint a piece that has these colors in it!






Here you can see the first brighter green showing through






I am off to the next painting project in a clients home! 
Linking up:
savvysouthernstyle
cityfarmhouse
frommyfrontporchtoyours
beyondthepicketfence
rootedinthyme
impartinggrace
thededicatedhouse
nancherrow
jenniferrizzo.com
frenchcountrycottage.
redouxinteriors
myrepurposedlife
romantichome
natashainoz
funkyjunkinteriors
interiorfrugalista
diyshowoff
niftythriftythings
findingsilverpennies
elizabethjoandesigns
thededicatedhouse
dwellings-theheartofyourhome
coastalcharm

33 comments:

  1. Oh the power of paint! Fantastic transformation. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful transformation! Love the pulls and knobs. First time here from A Stroll Thru Life.

    Have a great week!

    ~ Cassandra from Renaissance Women

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cassandra-the pulls and knobs are great!

      Delete
  3. Thank you Martina! I like the color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that green-blude shade. I was just wondering if you use the hemp oil first and then the wax?

    Mary @ Orphans With Makeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary-I love the color too! I use the hemp oil and wax at the same time. I tip my brush in oil and then right in my wax and brush on and rub in with a cloth. Easy Peasy and fast!

      Delete
  5. I love the style of this chest of drawers. Your choice of paint color brings out all the pretty details. Just lovely!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Alice-the color turned out nice even if it was not my original plan as far as color-go with the flow is my motto!

      Delete
  6. Great transformation. I do make simimlar DIY projects, too. Can you please let me know how you made your home chalk paint.
    Thank you,

    Senem (Ankara, Turkey)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Senem! I use Plaster of Paris with flat paint. I mix a couple of spoons of Plaster with water (runny pancake batter consistency) and the then add 3 parts paint and mix. Easy Peasy!

      Delete
  7. This turned out beautifully...excellent choice in paint color and what a gorgeous dresser!! Thanks for sharing your transformation! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stefanie-I like how the color turned out too!

      Delete
  8. I really love this. I inherited a vintage green dresser and this color reminds me of it. Very nice, peaceful shade of green. It almost works as a neutral too, because everything will look good with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michal-I like that: peaceful green-maybe that should be the new name for this custom color!

      Delete
  9. So pretty. I love your color concoction. I must get brave enough to mix my own too. I use AS Chalk paints because I love that they are no prep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Asrisha-there is something to say for no prep-mixing my own colors is fun and I can go with the vision in my mind so I like it

      Delete
  10. Hi Darrielle--visiting via Natasha in Oz and I just became your latest follower :) Love the dresser and the color you created. There is so much power in paint! I'm going to poke around your blog a bit. Take care
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana-I love new followers and poking around-I hope you like what you see!

      Delete
  11. hi Darrielle, it's gorgeous. and perfect with those hydrangeas.
    cheers Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fiona-everything looks good with hydrangeas!

      Delete
  12. Hi! I always love your pieces - you get such great texture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I try to make them match the picture I have in my head for them

      Delete
  13. I LOVE that color green! Would you mind sharing your dark wax/hemp oil concoction? Love your work!!!
    Beth @ Mary Beth's Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Beth-what I do for my concoction is to dip my brush in hemp oil and then in dark wax and then brush it on the piece of furniture. It makes the wax more like a glaze and then you wipe/rub in the excess and you are done! Easy Peasy!

      Delete
  14. I'd say "Cottage Green" is a winner of a color!

    You did a beautiful job of painting this piece--now you have a showstopper. Thanks so much for joining Grace at Home--I'm featuring you this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Richella-I like the green too and thanks for featuring it!

      Delete
  15. Love the color! Great transformation! Thanks for sharing with us at Your Designs This Time!
    Emily & Erin

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm thinking of painting my dresser. It's from an era that had design elements attached and some of them are missing. Would you recommend that I try to find replacements or just embrace its less-than-perfect personality and go with it as-is? And do you have a link to how you home-make chalk paint? Thanks so much for all your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete